Easy Zeppelin install on Mac, to use AWS Athena
Installing Apache Zeppelin on my Mac was pretty easy! I then connected it to Amazon Athena.
I mostly used information from:
- Using Amazon Athena with Apache Zeppelin | by Yuta Imai | Medium
- Getting Started (The URL says version 0.6.0, might be a newer version now!)
- I downloaded the
zeppelin-0.9.0-bin-all.tgzbinary (current version at the time) from Apache Zeppelin Download
- Unzipped the file by simply double-clicking on it
bin/zeppelin-daemon.sh start bin/zeppelin-daemon.sh stop
- Download driver from Links for Downloading the Athena JDBC Driver official page
- I then found that Using Amazon Athena with Apache Zeppelin | by Yuta Imai | Medium was the best resource for configuring the Interpreter
- However, the driver name has changed to
- Some information from Connecting Apache Zeppelin Up to Amazon Athena with an IAM Profile Name | rud.is was thus useful.
The fields I configured were:
jdbc:awsathena://athena.ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com:443(Your region might be different)
- default.user (IAM Access Key)
- default.password (IAM Secret Key -- not very secure, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to use the AWS credentials file)
- default.s3_staging_dir (Added this property myself, and pointed it to an Amazon S3 location to store the Output of Athena queries)
- Artifact: Provided the full path to the downloaded Athena JDBC driver
Hint: I had a problem referencing the Driver when the path included a space, so be careful where you put the driver file!
The credentials used to access Amazon Athena are also used to access the source data in Amazon S3.
Simply use the name of the Interpreter at the top of the section, eg:
%athena SELECT 42
To change the default schema, append the information onto the JDBC URL:
Similar options are available in the driver documentation.
FOCUS ON FINDING GREAT DEVELOPER CONTENT (Collection and Share based on the CC Protocol.)